Primary Causes of Loading Dock Accidents and Injuries in New Jersey
Loading docks pose special risks to staff members who work in or around these areas. Statistics show that about 25 percent of all industrial accidents occur in loading dock areas. If you have suffered an injury because of a loading dock accident at work, consulting with an experienced New Jersey workers’ compensation lawyer is usually the best way to proceed with claiming the benefits to which you are legally entitled. The Di Lauri & Hewitt Law Group can provide you with the right representation to pursue your New Jersey workers’ compensation claim successfully.
Five Primary Causes of Loading Dock Accidents
Most loading dock accidents fall into one of five general categories:
- Carbon monoxide poisoning: Because vehicles frequently idle in the area of loading docks, exhaust fumes can build up in these areas to create a dangerous environment for workers. Carbon monoxide poisoning can cause serious injury or even death for those who are exposed to this hazardous chemical compound for a prolonged period of time without adequate ventilation.
- Accidents caused by inattention: Fatigue and distractions are implicated in a large percentage of loading dock injuries and accidents.
- Improperly secured vehicles or trailers: Crush injuries are often caused by trailers or vehicles that are not properly secured in the loading dock area. This can allow workers to become trapped between a rolling vehicle or trailer and the loading dock itself.
- Slip-and-fall accidents: Inclement weather can create wet or slick patches in the loading dock area. Proper signage to warn workers of wet floors can provide some assistance in preventing these types of on-the-job loading dock injuries.
- Forklift accidents: Forklifts can pose real risks to workers in loading docks and distribution centers. More than 90,000 workers are injured by forklifts during an average year. Implementing good forklift safety practices can help workers and employers to avoid issues related to these types of heavy machinery.
For employers, creating consistent and practical safety rules on loading docks is essential to protect workers from injuries in these high-risk areas.
The Di Lauri & Hewitt Law Group Can Help
If you have been injured in a loading dock accident, the legal team at the Di Lauri & Hewitt Law Group can help with filing your New Jersey workers’ compensation claim and obtaining financial support to cope with medical bills and other expenses incurred because of your injury. Our team can provide you with practical representation to ensure that you receive the compensation to which you are fairly entitled under New Jersey law. Give us a call today at 973-343-5736 or visit us online to schedule a consultation with our team. At the Di Lauri & Hewitt Law Group, we are here for you.
Get in touch with us
We understand how important it is for our clients to get the legal help they need today. We are here for you and ready to help.