A litigation attorney represents your interests both in and out of court in legal actions you take and those that are filed against you. These attorneys specialize in providing support for plaintiffs and defendants in civil and criminal cases. Litigation attorneys are sometimes referred to as trial lawyers because of their frequent appearances in court. Working with a qualified litigation attorney can provide you with the most effective and assertive representation for your case and can help you feel more confident throughout the legal process. Here are some basic facts about litigation attorneys and how they can help you manage your legal affairs.
What Do Litigation Attorneys Do?
In the normal course of their duties, litigation attorneys engage in a wide range of activities intended to promote the interests of their clients. Some of the most common tasks performed by litigators include the following:
• Creating drafts of pleadings, complaints and counterclaims
• Answering interrogatories, complaints and counterclaims and requests for documentation
• Taking depositions and interviewing clients and witnesses
• Performing an investigation into the facts of the case
• Consulting with expert witnesses
• Engaging in jury selection procedures
• Creating a strategy for pursuing their case or defending their clients in court
• Negotiating with attorneys on the other side to reach settlements
• Appearing in court to argue on behalf of their clients
Litigation attorneys may work in private practices or as part of a government agency at the federal, state or local levels. They may also work for a nonprofit organization that provides legal services to people on the basis of income level.
Types of Civil Litigation Cases
Litigation attorneys handle an extensive array of civil case types. Some of the most common areas in which civil litigation cases may be filed include the following:
• Personal injury and wrongful death cases often require the assistance of an experienced civil litigation attorney to provide effective representation for victims and to represent the defendant in these cases
• New Jersey DWI and DUI cases may require professional representation by a qualified civil litigator to ensure the most positive outcome
• Disputes between landlords and tenants may also require the services of a litigation attorney to resolve in or out of court
• Cases brought under the provisions of the New Jersey Consumer Fraud Act may require the services of an experienced litigation attorney to provide guidance and representation during the legal process
• Litigators may also be needed for employment and labor disputes that end up in court
Litigators are in demand both to pursue these types of legal cases and to provide an aggressive defense against them. Working with an experienced and knowledgeable litigation attorney can often provide the right support regardless of whether you are the plaintiff or the defendant in your case.
Do You Need a Litigation Lawyer?
In general, if you have been served with a summons to appear in a civil case or if you are planning to file a lawsuit, you will need the professional services of an experienced litigation lawyer to represent your interests in the court system. Trial lawyers typically can provide you with practical strategies to ensure that your side of the story is heard and that you receive the most effective representation for your case. If your case involves a significant sum of money or other valuable assets, you may be able to benefit from the services of a qualified litigation attorney to represent you in and out of court.
Help at Every Step of the Process
Regardless of whether your case goes to trial, your litigation attorney will provide you with the most assertive and effective representation possible. If a settlement is possible, your lawyer will discuss the terms of the settlement with you to determine if it is in your best interests to settle the case out of court. If your case does go to trial, you can enjoy greater peace of mind with the help of an experienced and knowledgeable litigation attorney on your side. This can help you to achieve the most positive outcomes and the best solutions for all your current and future legal needs. If you are in need of a top-rated litigation attorney, call us today at 973-354-578 for a consultation.
Get in touch with us
We understand how important it is for our clients to get the legal help they need today. We are here for you and ready to help.